Posted by : Unknown Sunday, February 3, 2013




I don’t even know where to start with reviewing this book… I think it was my sister who pointed it out to me, but I can’t really remember. All I know is that whoever it was was very wrong in suggesting it to me.

Geek Love is a story about a family of “Freaks” in a traveling show. All of the children, or “dreamlets” as the father, Al, calls them were created through drug experimentation during pregnancy. There is the oldest, Arty, a flipper finned boy, the twins, Elly and Iphy, conjoined twins, Oly the albino, hunchback, midget, and Chick who somehow has telekinetic powers. They were brought up to be proud of these deformities because they are what make the family successful.

I don’t know if it was the writer’s choice or the editor’s choice to organize the flow of the story the way it was. It is really jumpy and difficult to follow. The chapter and part names are not really helpful in placing where you are in the timeline of the story, which is really unfortunate, because I felt myself trying to figure out where I was for the first couple sentences of each chapter. Was I in the present or past… I’m really not sure why on Earth it skipped around like it did.

While the writing was intriguing and beautifully descriptive, the story was terrible. I hated all of the characters, and couldn’t understand who I was supposed to be rooting for. I am no expert in writing, but I feel like a strong lead role is kind of important in a book. All of the characters were weak and submissive, or incredibly manipulative and evil.

I didn’t like this book at all. I got to the end and all I could think was, “Umm….What was that?” 

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Powered by Blogger.

- Copyright © 2013 Bonni's Book Reviews -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -